Wanting more freedom in my life has been one of the major drivers why I emigrated to New Zealand and started my earthbuilding business in 2002. The Kiwi "can-do" attitude and pioneering spirit inspires me to this day.
Reflecting on what freedom meant to me back then and what moved me to change my life quite drastically and take a leap of faith:
- I wanted to be free to structure my days around the needs of my children and be able to take time off if they ever got sick - without fear of losing my job (ie no day care, commute or rigid 9-5 job)
- I wanted the freedom to adjust the intensity of my work effort to the needs of my body
- I wanted the freedom to chose whom to work with
- I wanted to be free from stereotypes of what a woman/mother my age is capable of or should be doing
- I wanted freedom from the inner critic who was trying to tell me I couldn't do certain things because I wasn't practical or talented enough
- I wanted to be free to dream and try things for myself
So, distilling is down, freedom to me is about being able to live a self-determined life, to create with my own hands, and to do the things that matter. Having my own business has given me this kind of freedom but it has also been a ton of hard work, I won't deny it.
This is the core of my WHY. How this fleshes out for me 14 years into business is slightly different to the reasons I used to have when I started out. My babies have grown into wonderful young adults and I no longer need to prove myself anything. Freedom to me now has much more to do with being able to grow as a person and making a positive contribution in the world.
- I love inspiring people through my work and simple, sustainable lifestyle
- I love empowering people to be creative and shape their own healthy living environments
- I love learning new skills
- I love diversity
- I love stretching beyond my comfort zone
- I love a job well done
- I love simple, natural solutions
- I love contributing towards peace and healing
- I love to restore and regenerate
- I love courage
Freedom for me now simply is being able to do these things I love, because I know that my light shines the brightest when I am filled with love and this is when I touch people's lives. And at this point in my life, I need to nourish the love by going out into the world more.
It is nice to share my WHY with you. Getting clear on the WHY feels very motivating and gives me clarity of where I am headed. It is the Southern Cross in my firmament.
Do you know your WHY? You can zoom in on it by thinking about what your contribution is to the world/the lives of others when you are at your personal best and what the impact of your contribution is at that time. If you feel like sharing, leave a message below. Thank you.
This blog post is in response to Natalie’s 10 Day Freedom Plan Blog Challenge Day 2